Need some suggestions on exception handling and redirect to an error page

fredyap1234

Hi guys, I'm reviewing a piece of small web application and the current application does not have any error / exception handling capability. If there is any error, it would simply show an error message followed by die;.

I'm planning to implement a simple exception handling class to handle the errors. What I'm thinking is a simple redirect when an error is being caught together with an error code that correspond to an error message in a simple flat text file. The error page will then show an error message that corresponds to the code.

Here's what I have so far. Would appreciate if the PHP experts here would give simple pointers to enhance it.

<?php
class MyException extends Exception {}

try {
throw new MyException("error.php");
}

catch (MyException $e) {
$file = $e->getMessage();
header("Location: $file?e=1");
}

?>

This is what I have on my error.php page

<?php
$errorcode = $_GET['e'];

function getErrorMessage($errorcode) {
$errors = file("english.txt");
foreach ($errors as $error) {
	list ($key,$value) = explode(",",$error,2);
	$errorArray[$key] = $value;
}
return $errorArray[$errorcode];
}
echo "Test <br />";
echo getMessageMap($errorcode);
?>

As you can see here, exception class would redirect user to error.php if an error is caught together with a GET variable on the URL. On error.php page, it would GET the error code and then run it through a function to get the error message of the corresponding error code and then echos it out.

Was wondering if this is a good practice? My ultimate goal here is to avoid displaying the error message itself on private includes file.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. :)

It seems like a lot of overhead and upkeep for all that can go wrong.  What you can do is have a global array which holds notices, alerts and errors.  For every error encountered, add it to the array in string format right from the code...not a database.  So for example:

maincode:

<?php

if (!isset($_POST['name']) $GLOBALS['ERRORS'][] = 'You forgot the name!';

?>

lower down in the script...

<?php

if (count($GLOBAL['ERRORS']) > 0) {
    // Display errors
} else {
    // Continue processing
}

?>

That way you don't need to redirect the user away from the form they were on (which is an annoyance).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.