php undefined offset

eo92866

hi... i'm getting an undefined offset for the associative arrays [28-46] in this format.

$sql="INSERT INTO tableName (name1, name2, name3, name4... this goes all the way to name46) VALUES ('".$data[0]."', '".$data[1]."', '".$data[2]."', '".$data[3]."' ...this goes all the way to name46)";

$sqlData = mysql_query($sql);

i have read that i can prevent the notices by doing the following, but it's not working for me:

$sql="INSERT INTO tableName
                                                (
                                                'name1' => "isset(.$data[0].) ? $data[0] : 'default value'",
                                                'name2' => "isset(.$data[1].) ? $data[1] : 'default value'",
                                                'name3' => "isset(.$data[2].) ? $data[2] : 'default value'",
                                                'name4' => "isset(.$data[3].) ? $data[3] : 'default value'",
#this goes all the way to name46
					)";

can anyone please assist me?

the information is very unique... not just name1-46 naturally.

i am placing csv data into mysql...

$handle = fopen("$value", "r");

$row = 1;

$i = 0;

while ($i<10000)
                {
                $data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000, ",");
#plus prior code here...

The only way a count() of the $data array would give that high of a value is if there are no new-lines in the file or they are not being seen by php.

Perhaps if you post an example of what the csv file structure looks like (how many values per line do you expect to get.)

the csv file has 46 columns and over 10000 rows. these columns consist of fields that can be null values, but mainly have text, some numbers and some special characters like, @ etc. i do expect to get anywhere between 8000 to 10000 characters per row/line.

an example of the data:

US      9200        This is the first day.        382700          Above-12        etc...

does this help?

so all of the code up to the mysql insert is:

$files = glob("/my/file/path/US_*.csv");

// just to see what is there
#print_r($files);

$max_loop = 1;
$count = 0;

//loop for iterating $files into array $file and then into $value
foreach($files as $file => $value)
        {
        //increment the loop by 1
        $count++;
        //set the variable $count to variable $max_loop
        if ($count==$max_loop)
                {
                //create a break, because now have made the counter equal to 1
                break;
                //get the contents of $value
                $contents = file_get_contents($value);
                }
        }

// just to see what is there
#print_r($contents);

// place $value into fopen... to be opened and into array $handle, the "r" stands for read only
$handle = fopen("$value", "r");

$row = 1;

$i = 0;

while ($i<10000)
                {
//undefined offset error on $sql
                $sql="INSERT INTO tableName (name1, name2, name3, name4... this goes all the way to name46) VALUES ('".$data[0]."', '".$data[1]."', '".$data[2]."', '".$data[3]."' ...this goes all the way to name46)";

Notice: Undefined offset: 28 in /myfile.php on line 52

You are likely reading past the end of the file with your while ($i<10000) logic or you have lines that don't contain the expected number of csv data.

The php.net page for fgetcsv contains an example of how you would read until the end of the file is reached and someone already suggested using count($data) to find out how many pieces of data was actually read from each line.

Before you attempt to process the data, make sure that you are even reading the data. The following is the fgetcsv example from the php.net documentation, wrapped in a foreach() loop that gets all the matching file names out of the folder of your choice -

<?php
$files = glob("myfilepath/US_*.csv");
foreach($files as $file){
echo "File: $file<br />\n";
$row = 1;
if (($handle = fopen($file, "r")) !== FALSE) {
	while (($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000, ",")) !== FALSE) {
		$num = count($data);
		echo "<p> $num fields in line $row: <br /></p>\n";
		$row++;
		for ($c=0; $c < $num; $c++) {
			echo $data[$c] . "<br />\n";
		}
		// form and execute the query here...
		//$sql="INSERT INTO tableName (name1, name2, name3, name4... this goes all the way to name46) VALUES ('".$data[0]."', '".$data[1]."', '".$data[2]."', '".$data[3]."' ...this goes all the way to name46)";
		//$sqlData = mysql_query($sql);
	}
	fclose($handle);
} // end fopen()
} // end foreach()
?>

if count($data) is not equal to the expected value, you should display the file name/line number and data you did get from the file for that line.

You either have a row in a file that doesn't have the expected number of csv data OR you have a new-line as part of the data and the fgetcsv function has stopped reading the line at that point. You might also have data that contains comma's that is not enclosed inside of  double-quotes in the data.

i think i have a combination of:

a row in a file that doesn't have the expected number of csv data

a new-line as part of the data and the fgetcsv function has stopped reading the line at that point

which brings me to a question... would it be better to utilize a different process of handling the data instead of fgetcsv? like one of the functions that are listed on fgetcsv page? o am i completely missing something?

If some of your data in the file does not contain the expected number of fields, your code needs to deal with that, by either ignoring the whole line or filling the missing values with a known value when it builds the query. If you have data that contains new-lines, as long as that piece of data is enclosed in double-quotes, the new-line will be treated as data and not the end of the line.

Computers only do what their code tells them to do. No matter what code you use, it must handle the data or you must fix the data so that it always matches what the code expects.

went back and reviewed data... all the fields have characters, either with needed information or with N/A.

and in my sql query... i'm looking for 47 positions, so i should have all of the request names that i'm inserting into, being placed into the associative array.

but now i'm just lost and confusing myself a bit more... cause i feel i'm at the same spot i started from with my original code. i may have gone about it differently and not as elegantly though.

$k      = array_keys($data);
$fields = array();
for($i = 0; $i < 47; $i++)
{
   if ( !in_array($i, $k) )
   {
      $data[$i] = 'N/A';
   }
   $fields = 'name' . $i;
}

$query  = "INSERT INTO tableName ( " . implode(', ', $fields) . " ) VALUES ( '" . implode("', '", $data) . "' )";
$result = mysql_query($query)or trigger_error(mysql_error());

thank you...

i'm still not getting this to work properly... i believe my issue is that i'm now not placing the field headings into $fields (and i've attempted placing all of the names of the field headings into $fields with no success... i'm receiving a bad argument warning at the implode and a Notice: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1.

$files = glob("/my/file/path/US_*.csv");

$handle = fopen("$files", "r");

#               ini_set('auto_detect_line_endings', true);
                $k = array_keys($data);
                $fields = array();
                        for($i = 0; $i < 47; $i++)
                                {
                                if ( !in_array($i, $k) )
                                        {
                                        $data[$i] = 'N/A';
                                        }
                                $fields = 'name' . $i;
                                }

$query  = "INSERT INTO tableName ( " . implode(', ', $fields) . " ) VALUES ( '" . implode("', '", $data) . "' )";
        $result = mysql_query($query)or trigger_error(mysql_error());

fclose($handle);
                print "Import done";

mysql_close($con);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.