Problem with MySQL_Query

Corbokhan

I'm pretty new to PHP and I'm having trouble inserting data into my database from a webpage. Here is the code.

The error is on the lines with $query and $result. The error comes back:

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/content/76/5697876/html/corbinreynolds/insert.php on line 39

Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111

I've been working at this for hours and can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas?

<?php

$first=$_POST['first'];
$last=$_POST['last'];

if (!$first || !$last) {
echo 'Error: Enter the required data.';
exit;
}

if (!get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
    $first = addslashes($first);
    $last = addslashes($last);
}

$hostname = '127.0.0.1';
$username = 'root';
$password = 'root';
$dbname = 'phonebook';

@ $db = mysql_connect($hostname,$username.$password,$dbname);

if (mysqli_connect_errno()) {
echo 'Errer: Could not connect to database';
echo '<br>';
echo mysqli_connect_error();
exit;
}

$query = "INSERT INTO contact (first,last) VALUES ('$first','$last')";
$result = mysql_query($query,$db) or die(mysql_error());

if ($result) {
echo $db->affected_rows." contact inserted into the database";
echo 'Contact Entered:  '.$first.' '.$last.'';
}
else {
echo 'Error: Contact not added.';
exit;
}

echo 'Closing Database';
$db->close();

?>

First off, you are trying to use both mysql and mysqlI functions.  You can't do that, pick one.  Second, you have an error in your connect string.  There is a dot instead of a comma.  Thirdly, $db is not an object.  I think you have just copied code from different places and tried to hack it together. Also, don't use the @ error suppression, ever.

Line 39 starts with $query.

111 is the error code.

There is no reason for that error message when you just assign a string to a variable. So probably the line under?

@ $db = mysql_connect($hostname,$username.$password,$dbname);

correct me if I'm wrong, but in the php documentation, it never says you can provide the database name when you connect, you gotta do that with it's own function.

http://no.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-connect.php

How to do it:

mysql_connect($mysqlhost,$mysqlusername,$mysqlpassword);

@mysql_select_db($mysqldatabase) or die($mysqlerror);

moreover once you do the query(supposing u corrected all of the errors above) u need to store it in an array or as an object or fetch it as an asociative array before you get your results....do a mysql_fetch_assoc($result) and storee this in a variable say $result_row and then access your column names or field names of your table just like a normal key,value pair

nah, it's good when the function doesn't return TRUE when it succeeds, but it returns FALSE when it doesn't.

if(@fopen($file,'r'))

^ to check if I actually could load something from another page, because the webpage might be down.

would be super happy if you had another short code for that. (it was a picture btw, for then to get different properties from it)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.