How do I populate a "Select" box drop down menu in a form with Database fields?

lazerbrains

I am currently creating a form and I want to populate a drop down selection menu with data from two fields in a form. For example, I want it to pull the first and last name fields from a database to populate names in a drop down menu in a form. I want the form to submit to the email address of the person selected in the drop down. Is this possible to do? The email is already a field in the record of the person in the database.

Can anyone give me some pointers or advice on how I should go about setting up the "Select" box drop down? I am not sure how to code it to do what I am wanting. Any links to relevant help would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

pseudo-code:

$query = "SELECT `value`, `label` FROM `table` WHERE `field` = 'parameter'";
$result = mysql_query($query);
echo '<select name="name_value">';
while( $array = mysql_fetch_assoc($result) ) {
     echo "<option value=\"{$array['value']}\">{$array['label']}</option>\n";
}
echo '</select>';

Use the record's primary key as the value, and CONCAT_WS(' ', `first_name`, `last_name`) AS label, and then use the value to execute a SELECT query to retrieve the email address from the database after the form is submitted. If that doesn't make sense, or you need more help, just say so . . .

Could you give me a little more info on what this line of code is doing, and how it is working?

CONCAT_WS(' ', `first_name`, `last_name`) AS label,

I am fairly new to PHP. Not a complete NOOB, but this is the first time with this sort of thing.

Thanks again for your input and advice.

That is actually part of the query string using MySQL's CONCAT_WS() function. It will take the value of the first_name and last_name fields in the database (you need to change the names to whatever your fields are named) and concatenate them with a space between them. The AS label part simply gives the alias label to the result. So assuming you had two records in the database:

first_name  |  lastname

Bob              Smith

Jane              Doe

then this code:

$query = "SELECT CONCAT_WS(' ', `first_name`, `last_name`) AS `label`";
$result = mysql_query($query);
     echo $array['label'] . '<br>';
}

Would return

Bob Smith

Jane Doe

OK, so here is what I have so far....

<?php 
echo '<select name= "First_Name" , "Last_Name">';
     echo "<option value=\"{$array['value']}\">{$array['First_Name']}</option>\n";
}
echo '</select>';?>

</p>

This is currently working, and is pulling the 'First_Name' field correctly from the database and into the "select" dropdown menu. Now I am trying to get it to pull the 'Last_Name' as well, but when I do what you suggested for that, it is just a blank dropdown.

What do I need to add to get the last name to pull as well?

Ok. I got it working by doing it this way.:

<?php 
$text_for_select = $array["First_Name"] . " " . $array["Last_Name"].;
echo "<option value=\"$text_for_select\">$text_for_select</option>\n";
}
echo '</select>';?>

Works great! It is pulling the First and Last name fields from the Database.

Now the last thing I want to do is to have the form send to the email of the persons name they selected. All email records have associated email addresses. how can I have the $to variable from the 'mail' command = the associated email address?

just one thing: this will create an invalid select:

The name value for a form element should be a single, quoted string immediately following the equal sign. so something like this would work:

echo '<select name="First_and_Last_Name">';

If you want to send an email to the selected person, you should user their record id as the value for each <option>, then when the form is submitted you can get the posted id and look up the email address using that id.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.