organizing my query from the database

CyberShot

I have a test database set up that I am working on. Right now, just some names like so

firstName

lastName

companyName

I have used phpmyadmin to insert names in the database. Right now just three names are inserted. One first and last name, one first name and one company name

I am getting the results back in an associative array. How can I echo out the information with the break tag, or one field at a time? if I use a break tag, then the loop adds in extra blank lines when it gets to the first name and it's null. Can I test for null values and do it that way? I am a beginner so I have no idea what I am doing.

$result = $mysql->query("select * from names") or die($mysql->error);
if($result){
while($row = $result->fetch_assoc()){
	$name = $row['firstName'];
	$lastName = $row['lastName'];
	$company = $row['companyName'];

echo $name . " ";
		echo $lastName . " ";
		echo $company . " ";
}

}

a break statement is to get out of a loop early.

what you want is EOL terminators

and that depends on your OS/Browser

echo "This will work in  a browser <br />";
echo "This will work from cli \n"; // \n linux EOL, \r\n Windows EOL, \r Mac EOL
echo "This will also work in cli". PHP_EOL;
echo "This will work in browser and cli <br />". PHP_EOL;

also note that php also has the function nl2br, which converts the EOL \n to a <br /> tag

Echo nl2br("This String\nWill be split\nInto 3 lines");

that kind of thing isn't working for me. I end up with this

joe black

john doe

sears

you see, there is a big gap between sears and the first last name. The reason is because of the <br> tag that I throw into the code to put each result row onto a new line in my code. I am trying to figure out how to get the code to ignore the nulls and put everything on the next line instead of several lines down

I have been continuing to work on this issue. I took the <br> tags out trying to fix it. You are correct that my code doesn't not have any <br> tags in it. That is why I told you what I get when I use the br tags. yes, right now it spits the results out on one line. I am trying to figure out how to put each result on a seperate line without the code adding in extra blank lines between results as I showed you happens in the post above when I use br tags in this fashion

echo $firstName . " " . $lastName . "<br />";
echo $companyName;

If I do the above, I get this

john doe

Chrissy

sears

it gives me that because I left the last name blank on the second entry or whatever combination I use. It puts the company name further down the list with blank lines inbetween

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.