if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
$firstName = $_POST['firstName'];
$lastName = $_POST['lastName'];
$companyName = $_POST['companyName'];
$homePhone = $_POST['homePhone'];
$cellPhone = $_POST['cellPhone'];
$companyPhone = $_POST['companyPhone'];

//checking the values are filled
//echo $firstName. " " . $lastName . " " . $companyName . " " . $homePhone . " " . $cellPhone . " " . $companyPhone;

$insert = $mysql->query("INSERT INTO names('firstName','lastName','companyName'), phone('home','cell','company') values('$firstName','$lastName','$companyName','$homePhone','$cellPhone','$companyPhone'");

$mysql->query($insert);

if($insert){
echo "success";
}
else
{
mysql_error();
}

}

I got a connection to the database, I tested for it. I can't find the problem.

this is the error I get

Warning: mysqli::query() [mysqli.query]: Empty query in C:\wamp\www\test\formData.php on line 23

which is this line

$mysql->query($insert);

okay, I figured out what I did wrong and I got the success message, but the table doesn't show the information. I changed it to this

$insert = ("INSERT INTO names('firstName','lastName','companyName'), phone('home','cell','company') values('$firstName','$lastName','$companyName','$homePhone','$cellPhone','$companyPhone'");

$mysql->query($insert);

Once you actually test the result of your query and use the correct $mysql->error code to find why it is failing, you will find that your query makes no sense. You are apparently trying to make a mulit-table INSERT query and there is no such thing. The following is the syntax definition for an insert query -

INSERT [LOW_PRIORITY | DELAYED | HIGH_PRIORITY] [iGNORE]

[iNTO] tbl_name [(col_name,...)]

{VALUES | VALUE} ({expr | DEFAULT},...),(...),...

[ ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE

col_name=expr

[, col_name=expr] ... ]

if there is so such thing as a multiple table insert query, why am I finding them online when I google it? I have re worked my query several times and it is getting better. I also fixed the error code. it doesn't give me the error anymore. It also doesn't give me an error on the insert query. right now, it just doesn't insert. The code says it does but the table is empty

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.