[!!911!!] Most bizarre issue I have ever encountered with php....

this.user

I have three files:

/index.php

/include/index.php

/include/ajax.php

the /index.php page is the landing page, which includes the file /include/index.php

once the page loads, I make ajax calls to /include/ajax.php

here is what the files basically looks like:

index.php

<html><body><? include('include/index.php'); ?></body></html>

include/index.php

<?
session_start()
unset($_SESSION['team']);
$_SESSION['team'] = '9';

include/ajax.php

<?
session_start()
$_SESSION['team'] = $_SESSION['team'] . ',9';

Pretty simple right?

However, here is what is happening, every time I make a call ajax call to /include/ajax.php, the code in /include/index.php also gets executed and team is reset to 9!

I am using jquery to make the ajax call:

$("input:radio").live('click', function()
	{
		$.ajax(
            {
                    url:'include/ajax.php',
                    success: function (data)
                    {
                      alert('done');                                             
                    }
            });
});

and when I view the value after each ajax call, it is set to just 9.

This is not any other issue, other than the code in include/index.php being executed each time the ajax function is called.

Why in the world is the code in include/index.php being execute?! Under what circumstance would such a thing occur?

and what is the output? Is it showing:

Have you tried to change /include/index.php to something else like /include/main.php

The index.php script is run upon request to that particular directory. Whether in your ajax call it is requesting that directory before or after (not just the ajax.php file) could lead to the problem.

Try to change the index.php name so there is no index.php in your include folder (which you shouldn't need anyway - it isn't descriptive at all of what the script holds).

How exactly do you even know it is being executed?

The the ajax I posted is stripped down, I am returning a json value, in which I have dumped the session variable.

and what is the output? Is it showing:

Have you tried to change /include/index.php to something else like /include/main.php

The index.php script is run upon request to that particular directory. Whether in your ajax call it is requesting that directory before or after (not just the ajax.php file) could lead to the problem.

Try to change the index.php name so there is no index.php in your include folder (which you shouldn't need anyway - it isn't descriptive at all of what the script holds).

yes it is showing, '9,9' no matter how many times I call the ajax.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.