Accessing a Wordpress database

ryandhindsa

Hey everyone,

I'm creating a website which requires users to login. I didn't want to have to do my own crypto, so I basically created it with Wordpress. I'm at the point where I don't want to use Wordpress for the whole site--just the login system. So I was wondering how I can piggyback off the user management system of Wordpress while using my own script for the rest of the site. I know that Wordpress ends up storing passwords in the database as HMACs, for what that's worth.

Thank you,

Ryan

Hey everyone,

I'm creating a website which requires users to login. I didn't want to have to do my own crypto, so I basically created it with Wordpress. I'm at the point where I don't want to use Wordpress for the whole site--just the login system. So I was wondering how I can piggyback off the user management system of Wordpress while using my own script for the rest of the site. I know that Wordpress ends up storing passwords in the database as HMACs, for what that's worth.

Thank you,

Ryan

You would use wordpress's SSI.PHP to accomplish this.

SSI is the 'server side include' file and Wordpress should have some documentation about how to use this with their software.  Personally, I use SSI with SMF 2.0 (the forum software that this forum we are on is running). and the SMF documentation is very good on the SMF forum. 

Wordpress also uses an SSI.php for creating pages that are 'outside' of the Wordpress hierarchy but where you would like to take advantage of Wordpress' sessions, permissions, membergroups, etc. etc...

Hopefully that was points you in the right direction.

Terry Mullins

Thanks, Terry.

The problem is that Wordpress doesn't necessarily have an SSI.php file like SMF. I mean, they have wp-config, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Maybe the problem could be that I'm using Buddypress?

All I really want to do is have my index page:

www.apstudygroup.com

redirect to my Buddypress site:

www.apstudygroup.com/users

But only if the user is already logged in. I don't know how Buddypress stores the session, and I don't know how to access the cookies. My index page does not employ Wordpress at all.

Thanks,

Ryan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.