Create File Increment

Karir

Hey!

I am making a comment system for my blog I'm making.

The way I want it, is that when a comment is posted, it grabs the id of the post it's referring to, then creates a file called comment(POST ID HERE).txt..

I have that down, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can make it an increment, so it can make no more than 500, but everytime a comment is posted it will keep making the files go up like:

comment1.txt

comment2.txt

comment3.txt

Etc...

Thanks very much, happy holidays! :D

The way I want it, is that when a comment is posted, it grabs the id of the post it's referring to, then creates a file called comment(POST ID HERE).txt..

That means that a post will only be able to have one comment. Is that really what you want?

however I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can make it an increment, so it can make no more than 500

With the way you're doing things, you're going to have to keep a designated file with a number in it, and increment it when a comment is posted. Or iterate the folder and count how many comment files there are.

Why not just use MySQL for everything? You could have a posts table and a comments table. And have it  be a one to many relationship.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.