Need help finding News Script

Call-911

Hey All,

I need some help finding a good news script, or at least a push in the right direction.

What I need to do:

Have a database for news stories.

Make a basic CMS where the client can upload a title, picture, and the news story.

Have the news story display on the "home page" with just the title and a small except of the story (maybe 100 words)

On the news page, have a "read more" option, that when clicked links to another page where it has the whole story and picture.

I can figure out the CMS stuff, I've done that before. What I don't get is the "read more" function. I can figure out how to link up a page to a database, draw the most recent story, and display the first 100 words. I just can't figure out how to make a "Read More" function where it will link to a different page that has the whole story. Obviously I don't want a million different pages, so I just want one page that will display different database information depending on what news story is clicked.

I hope that makes sense. Maybe I am wording it wrong or am looking for the wrong thing. Any help would be appreciated. A tutorial would be wonderful, but I'll take any help I can get. This seems like it should be easy, but I'm just missing something...

Thanks!!

I think wordpress wud be too overwhelming for a beginner.

wuts hard to believe is:

I can figure out how to link up a page to a database, draw the most recent story, and display the first 100 words. I just can't figure out how to make a "Read More" function where it will link to a different page that has the whole story.

Usually these Read More pages have a number of headlines and stories

• Headline 1... Read More
  • Headline 2... Read More
  • Headline 3... Read More

and all a read more is a single page which uses a parameter in the uri

http://my.site.com/readstory.php?id=xxx

the readstory.php would use $_GET for the story id and display that one story.

if you want examples, try a site such as http://www.hotscripts.com there are plenty of sites that have simpler systems than wordpress.

Wordpress it too overwhelming for a beginner, really? All you do is upload the files and follow the instructions.

Usually these Read More pages have a number of headlines and stories

• Headline 1... Read More
  • Headline 2... Read More
  • Headline 3... Read More

I think what he means is how to display a sub string of the article. You can use the PHP function substr for that (there's also a MySQL substring() function you could use) , but you're likely to end up with words cut off mid-way. You're best off using regex to match x amount of whole words, using <space> as a delimiter:

preg_match('/^(\S+\s+){0,100}/', $str, $matches);
echo $matches[0];

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.