Parsing Images from a film - Question of Speed

bhakti

I am writing an OO PHP app to parse thousands of frames from a film, which will then each be manipulated and spat out using GD library funcs. Speed is of the essence.

To improve speed, I have considered:

- Another language!?

- Use of PHP Command Line Interface? ( Working with web browser is surely a slow affair?)

If PHP was a standard R6 Yamaha available to Joe Public, what would I have to do to win a GP race - you know - change gearing, alter timing, change exhaust system, rip out the air filter  :)

What does the panel suggest?

Thanks

B

That's opened up some reading for me. I use Sony Vegas to break film up into image sequences and then to stick em together again after manipulation using GD Lib in PHP.

Is there documentation anywhere on how to optimize performance of PHP scripts. I guess PHP CLI is one improvement, a faster CPU another. When writing code I am now asking myself, "Well this is neet and tidy but is it fast!?". I guess bench testing with microtime() can tell me through trial and error which is best way to go, but like everybody else, Im painfully aware of inventing yet another wheel  ;)

Rgds

B

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.