Splitting text

adamyork

I have a text field that contains the following (example text used):

1 2 3  4  5  6

As you can see the first few are split by a single space, with the last few numbers split by a double space.

My aim is to put each of these numbers into a table in a MYSQL database. But I'm having trouble breaking them up.

How big is this string going to be?  If it's relatively small you could use some regex:

$string = "1 2 3  4  5  6";
$string = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', $string);
$arr = explode(' ', $string);
print_r($arr);

?>

updated code for the latest question, first removing anything that isn't a space or a number, then replacing double-spaces with single spaces, then explode to array of numbers.

$str = "Hello there 1 2 3  4  5";
$str = preg_replace('/[^\s\d]/','',$str);
$str = preg_replace('/\s+/',' ',$str);
$vals = explode(" ",$str);

print_r($vals);

updated code for the latest question, first removing anything that isn't a space or a number, then replacing double-spaces with single spaces, then explode to array of numbers.

$str = "Hello there 1 2 3  4  5";
$str = preg_replace('/[^\s\d]/','',$str);
$str = preg_replace('/\s+/',' ',$str);
$vals = explode(" ",$str);

print_r($vals);

This helps in getting rid of the words all together. But I was hoping to keep both the words in the array, but simply put them as one single result...

i guess i would perform similar functions on the start string twice: once to isolate numbers and once to isolate letters. then make the letters (words) the first element of the array.

or move on to preg_match(), using regex to separate letters at the beginning and numbers at the end...

Please read all the posts, not just the first one.  We have already solved the first issue, the OP has presented a second one.

(BTW, your regex only matches/returns spaces)

Good catch.

Perhaps a \s*\d+\s* would be a more efficient regex. *Wipes off rust* haven't been coding in a long while. I think that one searches for zero or more spaces, followed by at least one digit, followed by zero or more spaces. I changed the spacing to allow for zero spaces to take into account spaces at the beginning and end of the string.

Unfortunately this is all new to me, so really struggling to get what I want from it!

I'm now creating a separate array for the words. But I still want it so that when there is 2 words with a space in between, the space is kept and they become one result.

e.g. 1 Hello there 1 2 3

as...

[0 ] Hello there

rather than...

[0 ] Hello

[1] there

Is this possible?

<?php
  $str="Hello there 1 2 3  4  5";
  preg_match_all('/((?:[a-z]\w*\s?)+|(?:\d+))(?:\s+|$)/i',$str,$matches);
  print_r($matches);

I got this for the output

(
    [0] => Array
        (
            [0] => Hello there 
            [1] => 1 
            [2] => 2 
            [3] => 3  
            [4] => 4  
            [5] => 5
        )

[1] => Array
        (
            [0] => Hello there
            [1] => 1
            [2] => 2
            [3] => 3
            [4] => 4
            [5] => 5
        )

)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.