Using $_GET and $_POST

bolaowoade

Hi guys i am a PHP newbie trying to learn from the beginning. I am reading a php book and i can't get past a particular example because $_GET and $_POST just won't work. Below is the code i am working with:

HTML File

<form action="welcome1.php" method="get">

<div>

<label for="firstname">First name: <input type="text" name"firstname"

id="firstname"/></label>

</div>

<div>

<label for="lastname">

Last name: <input type="text" name="lastname" id="lastname"/>

</label>

</div>

<div>

<input type="submit" value="GO" />

</div>

PHP file

<?php

$firstname = $_GET['firstname'];

$lastname = $_GET['lastname'];

print 'Welcome to our website, ' .

htmlspecialchars($firstname, ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8') . ' ' .

htmlspecialchars($lastname, ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8') . '!';

?>

I am working on a windows pc with Vista home edition installed. I run a localhost server installed via XAMMP. Please this has been a recurring problem for me. Each time i get to this stage in the past i always get stuck. $_GET and $_POST just does not work for me. Please heeeelp!

Your <label> tags should also be closed before opening the <input> tags. Try this:

<form action="welcome1.php" method="get">
    <div>
     <label for="firstname">First name: </label><input type="text" name="firstname" id="firstname" />
    </div>
    <div>
        <label for="lastname">Last name: </label><input type="text" name="lastname" id="lastname" />
    </div>
    <div>
        <input type="submit" value="GO" />
    </div>
</form>

Then, if it still doesn't function as expected, put this immediately after the opening <?php tag in welcome1.php to see exactly what is in the $_GET array.

echo '<pre>';
print_r($_GET);
echo '<pre>';

[/code]

Thanks pica, i didnt know people would be so stupid to port mac soft on windows even tho native version is available.. and </form> closing tag didnt really matter to code functionality... its just malformed. (and same applies to label and input tags)

and what comes to your new code: works just fine when the double dollar sign is replaced by just one. (as it should  :D)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.