PHP files with BOM or without BOM ?

Rommeo

I have told that the php files I was working on contains BOM by default cause of the editor I m using. I have installed other editor that can create php files without BOM.

So my question is  what's the difference between 2 files, one with BOM and other without BOM ? Any problems I may face for long term usage ? Which one is better to use ?

- UTF-8 is backwards compatible with regular ASCII in the 0-127 character range. That includes everything on the keyboard (and more). If you don't use Unicode characters >127 directly in your file then there won't be any problems anywhere. IIRC most UTF-8 encoded characters use character codes that are valid in PHP (like for variable or function names) so even if you do want Unicode stuff, you can probably get away with it - even without the BOM. Worst case: you use "\x??" and HTML entities.

- As the last comment says, and as I see on my PHP/Win 5.3.2, there is no multibyte support from the Zend engine.

- There is no PHP 6 anymore. Don't wait for it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.