Prepared statements and slashes ... Please advise.

jtorral

Ok.  So I just started using prepared statements.  One issue I ran into is that after inserting say "abc's" into the table with a prepared statement when I read that row and display it, it shows as abc\'s 

I have to use stripslashes on the variable before displaying it. 

I thought that with magic quotes. off this would not be a problem. Am I going to have to strip slashes on all fields now? Is there another way around it?

here is my phpinfo for reference

magic_quotes_gpc Off Off

magic_quotes_runtime Off Off

magic_quotes_sybase Off Off

And compile options

Configure Command './configure' '--host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=i386-redhat-linux' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--cache-file=../config.cache' '--with-libdir=lib' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--disable-debug' '--with-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--without-pear' '--with-bz2' '--with-curl' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--without-gdbm' '--with-gettext' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-png' '--with-pspell' '--with-expat-dir=/usr' '--with-pcre-regex=/usr' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-yp' '--enable-wddx' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--with-unixODBC=shared,/usr' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-dio' '--without-mime-magic' '--without-sqlite' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--with-xml' '--with-mhash=shared' '--with-mcrypt=shared' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--without-mysql' '--without-gd' '--without-odbc' '--disable-dom' '--disable-dba' '--without-unixODBC' '--disable-pdo' '--disable-xmlreader' '--disable-xmlwriter' '--disable-json'

Thanks

JT

Are the \ characters actually in the data in the database table (when you look directly using your favorite database management tool) or only when you retrieve the data?

Which database class you are using in your code? Any chance you are calling some filter/clean function that is also escaping the data?

I looked in the database and the value was stored with the \'s

However, prior to inserting it was sanitized with

$thisval = strip_tags($thisval);

$thisval = mysql_real_escape_string($thisval);

I re ran it without calling those functions and it worked. Stupid question. But, now that I use prepared statements, does that mean I no longer need to call these functions?

Thanks

With prepared statements, an 's' field type will be escaped for you, so you would not use mysql_real_escape_string() on the data.

strip_tags() has nothing to do with sql injection and it would be up to how you are using the data if you need to use strip_tags() on it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.