empty results check not working...

rbrown

Been trying to find an answer and keep running around in circles...

I have: ( left test echos in there)

if ($r['left_house_number'] != '') {
            /* Now see what they are supposed to get */
            $left_customer_query = "SELECT * FROM customer WHERE house_number ='".$r['left_house_number']."' AND street = '".$r['left_house_street']."' AND route_number = '".$_SESSION['route_number']."'";
// echo "SELECT * FROM customer WHERE house_number ='".$r['left_house_number']."' AND street = '".$r['left_house_street']."' AND route_number = '".$_SESSION['route_number']."'";
            $left_customer_result = mysql_query($left_customer_query) or die(mysql_error());
                $left_customer_result_count = mysql_num_rows($left_customer_result);
echo $r['left_house_number'].' =lhn1';
            while ($lrow = mysql_fetch_array($left_customer_result)) {
echo $r['left_house_number'].' =lhn2';
                /* See if there is any customer if not display blank row */
echo $left_customer_result_count.' = count ';
                if ($left_customer_result_count < 1) {
echo $r['left_house_number'].' =lhn3';
                    echo '<span class="delivery_nothing">'.$r['left_house_number'].' </span> 1<span class="delivery_nothing">'.$r['left_house_street'].' ';
                } else {
                    /* Have a customer, now check to see if they are supposed to get something */
                    if ($lrow['status'] != "AC" && $lrow['status'] != "VH") {
                        /* Customer is stopped or on vacation so show house number and street not bolded */
                        echo '<span class="delivery_nothing">'.$r['left_house_number'].'</span>2<span class="delivery_nothing">'.$r['left_house_street'];
echo $r['left_house_number'].' =lhn4';
                    } else {
                        /* Now check for correct delivery day and return data */
                        if (Show_Product($lrow['product']) == '1') {
echo $r['left_house_number'].' =lhn5';
                            echo '<span class="delivery_bold">'.$lrow['house_number'].'</span><span class="delivery_bold">'.$lrow['placement'].'</span><span class="delivery_bold">'.$lrow['street'].'</span>';
                            echo Product_Formater($lrow['product']);
                        }

I have tried...

if ($left_customer_result_count < 1) {

if ($left_customer_result_count == 0) {

if ($left_customer_result_count == '') {

if ($left_customer_result_count === 0) {

And I can't get it to work.

the count "test echo" is either blank or 1

If I echo the sql statement with values I know aren't in the db and paste it into phpmyadmin:

SELECT * FROM customer WHERE house_number = '3333' AND street = 'Chili Avenue' AND route_number = '68-24-630'

I get:

"MySQL returned an empty result set"

And if I change it to something that is in the db:

SELECT * FROM customer WHERE house_number = '3019' AND street = 'Chili Avenue' AND route_number = '68-24-630'

I get:

"Showing rows 0 - 0 (1 total, Query took 0.0012 sec)"

So what do I have to do to get this to work right?

What does it actually output when there are no results returned?

thanks,

If there are zero rows in the result set, mysql_fetch_array($left_customer_result) will be false and the code inside your while(){} loop will be skipped over. The code you have inside your while(){} loop that is testing or displaying $left_customer_result_count won't ever be executed.

You would want to test $left_customer_result_count before the start of your while(){} loop.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.