Query is wrong

unemployment

$q = "SELECT `users.id`, `users.username`, `users.firstname`, `users.lastname`, `users.accounttype`, `companies.companyid`, `companies.companyname`, `companies.companyoccupation`, `companies.country`, `companies.state`, `companies.city`, `companies.industry` FROM `users`, `companies` WHERE `users.id` = `companies.companyid`";

Error: Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /home/www-data/mysite.com/fresh.php on line 25

It's not the query, it's your code - you must be passing the query into mysql_fetch_assoc(), you should be passing the query into mysql_query() and the result of that to mysql_fetch_assoc().

$q = "SELECT `users.id`, `users.username`, `users.firstname`, `users.lastname`, `users.accounttype`, `companies.companyid`, `companies.companyname`, `companies.companyoccupation`, `companies.country`, `companies.state`, `companies.city`, `companies.industry` FROM `users`, `companies` WHERE `users.id` = `companies.companyid`";

$result = mysql_query($q);

if($res && mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)
{

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
     {
          echo $row['firstname'];
     }

}

Error: Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /home/www-data/mysite.com/fresh.php on line 25

please post full script!

You should:

$result=mysql_query($q) or die(mysql_error());

$resultrow=mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

Essentially I have this...

$r = mysql_query($q) or die(mysql_error());

while($r = mysql_fetch_assoc($q))

try this:

$q = 'SELECT users.id, users.username, users.firstname, users.lastname, users.accounttype, companies.companyid, companies.companyname, companies.companyoccupation, companies.country, companies.state, companies.city, companies.industry FROM users LEFT JOIN companies ON users.id=companies.companyid';

also, if that is all the fields, you could just use * instead of all the column names! :P

EDIT:

sorry, I did a typo, but edited it!

try this:

$q = 'SELECT users.id, users.username, users.firstname, users.lastname, users.accounttype, companies.companyid, companies.companyname, companies.companyoccupation, companies.country, companies.state, companies.city, companies.industry FROM users LEFT JOIN companies ON users.id=companies.companyid';

also, if that is all the fields, you could just use * instead of all the column names! :P

EDIT:

I tried your suggestion. 

Code:

{

but I still get this error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /home/www-data/mysite.com/fresh.php on line 27

try this:

EDIT:

I tried your suggestion. 

Code:

{

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /home/www-data/mysite.com/fresh.php on line 27

that's because you're doing it wrong...

try this instead:

$query='SELECT * FROM users LEFT JOIN companies ON users.id=companies.companyid';
$result=mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
if(mysql_num_rows($result)>0){
  while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){
    print_r($row);
    $table[]=$row;
  }
}
print_r($table);

Look at the source of the page after running this...

I wrote a bit more, but your problem is that you did this:

should have been like this:

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($r))

try this:

EDIT:

I tried your suggestion. 

Code:

{

that's because you're doing it wrong...

try this instead:

$query='SELECT * FROM users LEFT JOIN companies ON users.id=companies.companyid';
$result=mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
if(mysql_num_rows($result)>0){
  while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){
    print_r($row);
    $table[]=$row;
  }
}
print_r($table);

Look at the source of the page after running this...

I wrote a bit more, but your problem is that you did this:

should have been like this:

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($r))

Thank you!  You fixed my error.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.