Extract data from web page

zavin

Is it possible to write a php script that would extract data from an external web page. I've been working with php for a few years as a hobby, but I've never seen this done or needed a reason to until now. Thanks in advance for any responses.

QuickOldCar - Thanks I'm going to start studying up on cURL to see if it's what I need.

johnny86 - I'm wanting to extract information. For example if a web page had a list of prices and I wanted my page to list some of those prices based on the item from that page I want to list.

I hope that makes since.

I think $source = file_get_contents('http://site.to.fetch.from/'); will work for me, but I'm also going to look into simplehtmldom a little more. The first problem I have is that the site I'm trying to get info from requires a log in and of course when I try to log in it looks for the log in page for the site on my server. Is there a work around for this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.