Email Authentication

elmas156

Hello everyone,

I have a site where users sign up using an email address as their username.  I want to be able to verify that their email address is valid without having to send them a confirmation email that they have to click some link in before they are allowed to sign in to the website.  Maybe something that pings the email server for a specific address, and if the address is not valid, alert the user to enter a valid address.  Does anyone have any ideas or information that you could point me to to assist me with this task?  Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

You can connect to the mail server with SMTP and ask to send an email to that address, then cancel.  It's not guaranteed to work but it's better than nothing.  Keep in mind that you need to look up the MX DNS record for a domain to find where to connect to - if you just connect to the domain itself you might not find the SMTP server there and you'll get a false negative result for the test.

There's an overview of the SMTP protocol in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol

MX records: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record

Yes it's complicated - that's why most sites send an email instead :)

I'll also add that for my personal domain I use a "redirect" address. For example, any email sent to me@mydomain.com will be redirected to me@myispdomain.com. So, trying to "validate" my email will fail.

I agree with Pikachu2000. Simply validating that they have supplied a valid email address tells you nothing.

OK, so I guess I'm going to be sending a confirmation email.  Here is another question though:  When an email is automatically sent using the mail() function, sometimes it takes up to 10-15 minutes.  Is there any way to speed that up or does it have something to do with my server?  I would like for it to take no more than 5 minutes, ideally less than 2 minutes.  Ideas on this?

mjdamato, why would validation fail for the redirect address?  If email can be sent to me@mydomain.com, then the MX for mydomain.com must be accepting mail addressed to "me".

I can only say that I have had problems receiving emails to certail addresses from certain domains and the only parameter I could not rule out was that the accounts experiencing the problem were redirects. I assumed - possibly incorrectly - was that the sneding server was doing some type of check.

They probably have a queue for a reason. Your best bet would be to ask them exactly what the situation is and if there's a way around it.

Failing that, you could send the email using a different email provider and not use PHP's mail function. I've had a good experience with Swiftmailer before. You could probably use it to send through gmail (500 email per day limit) or some other provider.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.