Dynamic form generation from Database

powens

I'm praying there's a function somewhere out there that:

• generates a html form based on the fields of a particular table within a DB (namely mySQL)
  • generates the appropriate form input based on the fields type or notes (ie. for field: avatar_img, it knows to generate a file input)
  • uses the POST method to submit
  • generates and submits SQL insert query to database

In addition to that, a similar function that generates a form that allows the editing of records.

It doesn't take too long to write these each time myself, but if there's a function that you provide the formname, database driver, table name, whether your form is to insert or edit, that would be quite nifty i think. 

ie.  generateForm(addUser, mySQL, tUsers, insert)

Seen any such thing?

Many thanks.

I just had a similar situation where I had loads of SQL fields and I needed to provide submission and editing + some control panel features.

The code isn't really in that shape that I would recommend anyone to re-use it. But it gets the job done very nicely.

Basicly this is what I ended up doing:

- Started the form creation with SQL statement DESCRIBE table_name

- Loop trough those fields and check what type they are and put them in array. (I had another array of fields that were not supposed to show done manually)

- (Now someone fills up the form and submits)

- Same file checking the form and it always started with DESCRIBE table

- But now when there is a submission, Simply loop through the fields and do some validation

- The simplest thing was actually generating the SQL statement in a foreach loop.

That's pretty much it. I also ended up doing like 4-5 helper functions which I called to fill up the form. They were pretty simple. Just like function isChecked($fieldname, some other args that were specific for the job).

But I think there's some idea.. If I only had inspiration to make it a full polished class =) Now I only have basicly functions and a filter class.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.