$_POST variables

meltingpoint

Ok- I have seen it go both ways on this forum and I was wondering which is correct- or more secure.

I have a script that receives $_POST variables from a form.  Which is better- to change the name of the $_POST variable to do script manipulations or to simple do them with the $_POST['whatever']

$whatever  = $_POST['var_from_form'];

or simply utilize $_POST['var_from_form']

I know it would be less typing changing it to $whatever, but does it really matter?

And yes- register_globals is off.

Cheers-

If you use the first one you can use a more descriptive variable name.  Also, if you define a new variable the POST then you only have to manipulate it one time.  For example, if you want to sanitize your POST value you would only have to call mysql_real_escape_string once.  If you used the latter example, then you would need to call it every time you wanted to use it.

Assigning your $_POST values to variables is good practice.

As maq said you need to also think about security. You can't simply use $_POST['couldbeanything']; you should use mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['couldbeanything']);

Of course, this only matters if you're using the $_POST values and inserting into a database. If not, it is still god practice to validate the input. Even on hidden form elements. *everything* the user enters into your system must be validated or you're open to being compromised/

A simple way of sanitizing all $_POST variables is like this:

foreach($_POST as $key => $val){

$cleanPost[$key] = mysql_real_escape_string($val);

}

Now just use $cleanPost['couldbeanything'] instead of $_POST.

You can take that a step further and use an array to exclude/include certain keys, or validate value based on key name (like fname_alphnum, id_int).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.