should i also destroy $oldimg?

iPixel

My code below, i already imagedestroy($newimage)... but i'm not sure if i should be destroying $oldimg as well? Any thoughts?

$newimg = imagecreatetruecolor($sizeA,$sizeA) or die('Problem In Creating image');

$background = imagecolorallocate($newimg, 255, 255, 255);

imagefilledrectangle($newimg, 0, 0, $sizeA, $sizeA, $background);

$oldimg = imagecreatefromjpeg($source)or die('Problem In opening Source Image');

imagecopyresampled($newimg,$oldimg,0,$move,0,0,$sizeA,$new_height,ImageSX($oldimg),ImageSY($oldimg)) or die('Problem In resizing');

imagejpeg($newimg,$s1DIR,90) or die('Problem In saving');

imagedestroy($newimg);

PHP will automatically clear up any resources when the script ends anyway. So technically imagedestroy should not be needed. However, If you are running a script that processes multiple images at once and takes a decent chunk of time, you might want to use it during the script to free up memory during your script, and possibly freeing up some server memory.

Yea that's the issue i'm having, im doing this basically for 5 different sizes. So a batch i run of 250 images times out and the script never finishes. Originally I thought maybe set_time_limit was the issue, but it seems more and more like a memory_limit issue. It's now set to 256MB. So i'll try and destroy $oldimg and hope it helps.

Is there a reason why need the 5 sizes for all premade.

I understand are already into doing what you are and I believe you are deleting your original images.

Well here was a thought for you.

When image of certain size gets called upon... have gd do a dynamic size, store to a cache folder of images that particular filename for size, cache the images. So when get a request for that size can check cache folder first, if not then execute gd resize and place into cache folder.

I hope you got all that. The point is why make many images if not using them all, I don't know your exact process here or what doing with them, but if have a real lot and worried about space is something to consider.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.