$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] for navigation--Links won't execute

RopeADope

Hi all.

Working on a nav system using the document_root variable.  I can't figure out why the links won't execute when I click them.  When I mouse over a link, it shows the correct URL, but nothing happens when I click the links.  The browser remains on the same page.

The page

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
   <head>
      <title>vCTO-Home</title>
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/style.css" media="screen" />
     <?php include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/php/var.php');?>
   </head>
   <body>
      <?php include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/php/t1.php");?>
   </body>
</html>

t1.php

<div class="tier">
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/index.php">Home</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/demand_management.php">Demand Management</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/engineering.php">Engineering</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/steady_state.php">Steady State</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/communications.php">Communications</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/business_management.php">Business Management</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/risk_management.php">Risk Management</a>
         <a href="<?php echo $docroot;?>/other.php">Other</a>
      </div>

var.php

<?php
$docroot=$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];
?>

A leading slash / on a URL, makes it a domain-root relative URL, which most browsers support. They take the http://some_domain.com of the current page and append the domain-root relative URL to it.

If you want to form a fully qualified/absolute URL, you can either setup a configuration variable/constant to hold your domain or you can use $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] to get it at runtime to make the - http://some_domain.com/some_path/some_file.ext URL.

So I thought I had this figured out but I've run into another problem.  I tried using a leading "/" which worked initially, but I've found that with documents that are in directories, I can only load files in parent folders by using "../".  I also tried using $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] instead of the leading slash but that hasn't worked.

The code that I'm showing here is from a file in /input and the includes are for files in /php

This code:

<html>
   <head>
      <title>vCTO-Service Portfolio Input</title>
      <?php include('/php/head.php');?>
   </head>
   <body>
      <?php include('/php/t1.php');?>
      <?php include('/php/t2_demand_management.php');?>
      <?php include('/php/t3.php');?>
   </body>
</html>

Produces these errors:

Warning: include(/php/head.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 5

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/php/head.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 5

Warning: include(/php/t1.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 8

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/php/t1.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 8

Warning: include(/php/t2_demand_management.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 9

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/php/t2_demand_management.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 9

Warning: include(/php/t3.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 10

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/php/t3.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\input\input_service_portfolio.php on line 10

This code produces no errors:

<html>
   <head>
      <title>vCTO-Service Portfolio Input</title>
      <?php include('../php/head.php');?>
   </head>
   <body>
      <?php include('../php/t1.php');?>
      <?php include('../php/t2_demand_management.php');?>
      <?php include('../php/t3.php');?>
   </body>
</html>

Navigation links deal with URLs that the browser requests. Php include statements deal with file system paths that php uses to open and read a file. Links and include statements don't have anything to do with each other.

You WOULD use $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] to form an absolute file system path to use in an include statement. A leading / on a file system path refers to the root of the current disk drive.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.