What is the popular way to 'delete' records?

coupe-r

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how everyone deletes their records using PHP or if you can give me any recommendations.

Not really deleting, but I use UPDATE and change the deleteStatus column value. 

What is the best / recommended way, with a customer confirmation?

Whether you actually delete the data, move it off into a separate (eg, backup) table, or just flag it as "deleted" depends on the business.

If you need to send a confirmation then you should probably use a flag. If uncontested, you can have a periodic backup routine move the "deleted" data someplace else - for archival purposes.

Thanks for the reply.

Currently I use a deleteStatus flag along with a JS confirmation box.  But, I just had a friend test it out and when they click my delete icons, it just runs the PHP code and never pops up a message.  I'm looking for a way around that.

I can post my short PHP and JS code if you want, but didn't want to post JS in here since its the PHP forum

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.