include path is driving me crazy

fortnox007

Hi all, i was trying to include a php file in an index file into another files and those included file is including one file also. But for some reason the database connection file is not included.

this is the map structure

www/index.php   <---- the file that uses include

www/newsletter/newsletter.php  <---- has a form with action process.php

www/newsletter/process.php <--- this has an include referring to database.php

www/newsletter/database.php <--- the databasefile

This is what i did but it gives a server error

in index.php

include('newsletter/newsletter.php');

innewsletter.php

<form action="newsletter/process.php" method="post"><!--- some form stuff--></form>

in process.php

include('database.php'); 

I really don't understand why it doesn't work and it's giving a server error 500. The form loads like it should in the index.php but the rest doesn't :'(

any help is appreciated.

a server error often means the permissions on the PHP files is not set correctly, or that permissions on the include directory are not set correctly. you should also have this at the top of your scripts, if you don't already:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set("display_errors", -1);

Sorry guys for my late reply, and thanks for responding

I dropped my computer downstairs, which is pretty much the most dumbest thing i ever did. I am trying to  retrieve the data from it, and than i will post it. SO if anyone can recommend a new computer now is the time. Mine is in computer heaven, but i hope my hard drive isn't  :'(

Cheers!

Ok i have the data here. If someone could have a look. the general idea is that i am having difficulty with including files that include files in them-self. i changed the files a bit so it is easier to read.

so in general I have a folder with 3 files in it.  newsletter.php , connection.php and subscribed.php Which should be able to sit anywhere in my folder/file system. Than i have an index that includes newsletter.php.

My thought was that using relative paths in the files/folder system would be okay. But i am getting som weird 500 server error, anyone maybe an idea what is causing this? I get no other error messages.

index.php

<?php include('/a/b/c/newsletter/newsletter.php');   ?>

newsletter.php

<?php session_start();

$token = md5(mt_rand(100000, 9999999));
$_SESSION['formtoken']= $token;

define('somevar', 1 );
?>

<form id="newsletter" action="subscribed.php" method="post">
        <label for="naam">name: </label><input id="name" type="text" name="name" value="" /><br />
        <label for="naam">email: </label><input id="email" type="text" name="email" value="" /><br />
        <input type="hidden" name="token" value="<?php echo $token; ?>" />
        <input type="submit" name="submit" value="subscribe"/>
</form>

subscribed.php

<?php session_start();

define('somevar', 1 );
include ('connection.php'); //include the processing file which is in the same folder

?>
<p>
<?php //echo some stuff ?>
</p>

connection.php

<?php session_start();
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set("display_errors", 1); 
//
defined('somevar') or die ('404'); //no direct access!
if(!isset($_POST['token'])){
  die( 'Restricted access' );
}

//check token and do some stuff
if($_SESSION['formtoken']=== $_POST['token']){
    //perform checks and insert in the database
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.