Highlighting $_POST value in text

leachus2002

Hi All,

I am trying to create a search system - in which part of it I would like to highlight the matched terminology from the relative $_POST value that is coming from the search box.

The SQL that I am using to get the query results is:

select * from queue where id like '%$searchvalue%' or subject like '%$searchvalue%' or body like '%$searchvalue%'

This returns any rows that include like $searchvalue. So if $searchvalue was say "linux" - I would like the code to highlight the word Linux on the page. I am displaying the results on the page using an MSSQL_FETCH_ARRAY, but only displaying the ID and subject fields.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

Matt

you could use str_replace after you get your results like this like this

$searchvalue=str_replace("$search" ,"<font color='#FF0000'>$search</font>", $searchvalue);

this would then change the color of the variable $search if that represents the word looked for.

Hi dragon_sa,

Thanks for that code - however I am finding that it is highlighting the whole line.

Let me post my code:

$criteria = $_POST ['search_text'];
$search_query = mssql_query("select id,subject,body from table where id like %'$criteria'% or subject like %'$criteria'% or body like %'$criteria'%"

$show_results = mssql_fetch_assoc ($search_query ){

$show_results['subject']=str_replace("$show_results['subject']" ,"<font color='#FF0000'>$show_results['subject']</font>", $show_results['subject']);

echo $show_results['id'];
echo $show_results['subject'];
echo $show_results['body'];
}

Cheers

Matt

I made a multi-word multi-color highlighter

http://dynaindex.com/color-highlighter.php

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/php-coding-help/highlight-a-word-using-php/msg1516715/#msg1516715

Is 2  diferent functions there at above link, the one i linked is for when are single values in an array, the other function below it is for when need to explode a line a text for the words, exclude anything, and then create the array.

You can look there but here's an even newer version of the code I did.

function highlighter($words, $content, $backgroundcolors=null, $fontcolors=null) {
preg_match_all('~\w+~', $words, $matched);
    if(!$matched) {
        return $content;
       }
$words = str_replace(array('+','-'), "", $words); 
$words = str_replace(" ", "|", $words);
$words = trim($words);
$words = explode("|", $words);
        if(is_null($backgroundcolors) || !is_array($backgroundcolors)) {
                $backgroundcolors = array('yellow', 'red', 'green', 'orange', 'aqua', 'lightskyblue ', 'pink', 'lime', 'fuchsia', 'maroon', 'navy', 'olive', 'purple', 'gray', 'silver', 'teal', 'grey');
                if(is_null($fontcolors) || !is_array($fontcolors)) {
                $fontcolors = array('black', 'white', 'lime', 'oldlace');//change font colors or add more
                }
        }
        $counting = 0;
        $numbercolors = max(array_keys($backgroundcolors));
        foreach ($words as $word) {
            $word = preg_quote(trim($word));               
$content = preg_replace("/\b($word)\b/i", '<span style="border: solid 2px #FFD700; padding: 1px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -khtml-border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; border-radius: 5px; margin: -0; text-align: justify; line-height: 2px; background-color:'.$backgroundcolors[$counting].';font-family:arial;color:'.$fontcolors[$counting].';">\1</span>', $content);
                if($counting==$numbercolors){ $counting = 0; } else { $counting++; }
        }

return $content;
}
?>

a simple usage

$post_content = highlighter($search_words, $post_content);

You can define the colors also, look at examples the demo or codes other forum post.

I had css style in this at first in my included stylesheet, then modified the css class into the output themselves. Any time a css class met another class and was a hyperlink there.....it messed up the hyper, was still a pretty color though, so I redid it with good old depreciated basics of font.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.