form post to self and isset

Philwn

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with what i would guess is a very simple problem.

I have the following code which is suppose to display a form. the form posts to itself and uses isset and if the form has been posted it doesnt display the form.

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

echo "question submitted successfully";
	}
	else {
          echo '<form method="post" name="qanda" id="qanda" action="http://' . $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] . '">';
          echo '<p><label for="name">Name</label> <input type="text" id="name" /></p>';
          echo '<p><label for="e-mail">E-mail</label> <input type="text" id="e-mail" /></p>';
          echo '<p><label for="Question">Question</label>  <textarea rows="6" id="question"></textarea></p>';
          echo '<p class="submit"><input type="submit" value="Submit" /></p></form>';
	  }

this currently doesnt work.

Extra things you might need to know is that this script/form is an included file in a dynamic site which also uses the rewrite module which is why I am using http://' . $_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"].$_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] just incase that makes a difference.

hmm not sure if I have misunderstood your reply but this seems to have stopped the file being included aswell as two other files that are included after this section.

<?php 
	if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST' && isset($_POST['submit']) {

echo "question submitted successfully";
	}
	else {
          echo '<form method="post" name="qanda" id="qanda" action="">';
          echo '<p><label for="name">Name</label> <input type="text" id="name" /></p>';
          echo '<p><label for="e-mail">E-mail</label> <input type="text" id="e-mail" /></p>';
          echo '<p><label for="Question">Question</label>  <textarea rows="6" id="question"></textarea></p>';
	  }
	  ?>

The if() statement is missing a closing ) and produces a fatal parse error, but you should have discovered that when you put the code into your file and executed it on your development system (almost all of the code you see posted in a forum is NOT TESTED and could contain typos.)

You should be developing and debugging your code on a system with error_reporting set to E_ALL and display_error set to ON in your master php.ini so that all the php detected errors will be reported and displayed.

sorry I didn't spot the typo, I saw the close bracket  for the $_POST and thought it was the one for the if statement.

I do not have debugging on and am unaware of the location of the php.ini, I shall look into it now.

I am still having problems with this code not working though, the page displays correctly and calls the includes but when the form is posted it still brings up the form instead of "question submitted successfully".

Actually this is true in the case of internet explorer if the Enter key is pressed instead of the submit button being clicked, for safe measure change the if statement to

if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST' && isset($_POST['name'])) {

also you need to add the following name tags to your form or it wont process at all when you add the processing features

echo '<p><label for="name">Name</label> <input type="text" id="name" name="name" /></p>';
          echo '<p><label for="e-mail">E-mail</label> <input type="text" id="e-mail" name="email" /></p>';
          echo '<p><label for="Question">Question</label>  <textarea rows="6" id="question" name="question"></textarea></p>';

The $_POST name come for the name tags in the forms

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.