How to poll MySQL for results of all 50 states?

jeffkas

I'm needing some direction in how to start this...  I have a page with the 50 U.S. states listed.  I have a column in my mysql database that holds each state's name called:  source

There's a few thousands rows in my database, so the state names vary in the record count. 

How can I query the database and have a little count by each one of my 50 states that shows how many results exist in the db for that state?  I know how to query for total rows and show that number... but confused on how I would do it for individual line items.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Thanks for the help. 

I should have mentioned that I already got the query to work (though slightly different), but I'm trying to figure out how to pull those results to the page now.. and leave my state names in url form, as they currently are. 

Thanks!

Thanks for the help. 

I should have mentioned that I already got the query to work (though slightly different), but I'm trying to figure out how to pull those results to the page now.. and leave my state names in url form, as they currently are. 

Thanks!

Do you have any code so far?  If so, please post it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.