Problems passing a variable

andik

Please forgive my limited knowledge of php. 

I am trying to pass a variable from 1 page to the next.  I have SCRIPT A (I didn't write it) that parses an rss feed and then calls SCRIPT B to insert it into a database. 

Everything works great.. and all I'm trying to do is add a new piece of information.  In my db, I added a column called 'city'.  There are currently 25 different SCRIPT A's (25 different city names).  I could create 25 SCRIPT Bs and call them individually, but I'm trying to use 1 SCRIPT B and just send the city name. 

I've read about POST and GET but still not sure on this?  Can't I just hard code my city name into each SCRIPT A like this:

$city = "miami";

And then put this at the top of SCRIPT B?

$city = $_GET['city'];

Well.. apparently, I can't because that doesn't work.  Again.. sorry for the dumb question.  It's my first time attempting anything with php. 

Thanks.

one.php

<?
include 'config.php';
$url = 'http://somedomain.com/myfeed.rss';

require_once("process.php");
?>

process.php

<?php
A bunch of functions that clean the rss feed up are here

mysql_query("INSERT IGNORE INTO feed 
(url, title, description, date, city) VALUES('".$link."', '".$title."', '".$description."', '".$date."', '".$city."' ) ") 
or die(mysql_error()); 
?>

So everything works except what I added, which is the $city variable. 

My workaround is to create individual pages for process and call like this:

require_once("processMiami.php");

And then hard code miami in like below in processMiami.php

<?php
A bunch of functions that clean the rss feed up are here

mysql_query("INSERT IGNORE INTO feed 
(url, title, description, date, city) VALUES('".$link."', '".$title."', '".$description."', '".$date."', 'miami' ) ") 
or die(mysql_error()); 

?>

I can ultimately do it this way but wanting to learn how this would normally be done.  Hopefully I've posted enough.  I removed a ton from a very long script but I think this is the meat of what you were asking for.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.