URLs and $_GET

coupe-r

Well, through out the site, it is used to query the users record. 

edit.php?id=14 <---  This would grab  from the users table WHERE user_id = $_GET['id'].  I have it so if a user enters an erroneous number that isn't tied to their client_id, it drops them back a page.

other.php?id=14&cid=34 <--- This would grab the users complaint record

That is what I use it for, mainly.

I have it so if a user enters an erroneous number that isn't tied to their client_id, it drops them back a page.

If you're checking to ensure the id is tied with the current user's account then it should be fine.

You may want to sanitize your variable with mysql_real_escape_string or use prepared statements to prevent SQL injections.  That goes for any value that is used in a query that the user can manipulate.

if magic quotes is on, you'll get double-slashes without removing them. if magic quotes is on, i stripslashes() first.

$urlVal = (isset($_GET['id']))?trim($_GET['id']):'';

if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
$urlVal = stripslashes($urlVal);
}
$urlVal = mysql_real_escape_string($urlVal);

Last question.

If I wanted the best way to "hide" the ID in the URL, would I encrypt it and then decrypt it on the new page or is there a better way?

Basically, I want to have ID=Dj43k;asd890faaklsdf01934jfa in the URL, not ID=12.

Suggestions?

You could do encryption with mcrypt.

Here's a tutorial http://www.phpro.org/classes/Two-Way-Encryption-With-PHP-Mcrypt.html

And the php manual http://php.net/manual/en/book.mcrypt.php

If you don't want to go that far, you could perhaps add a random lot of numbers to the end so it's like

id=4842049262658265620528

That way it looks encrypted. But secretly you just use the 1st 2 numbers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.