Updating right after an insert, in the same script

kreut

Hello,

I'm trying to write my first database using SQL and PHP, without much luck, I'm afraid.  After inserting a new record (for which I didn't have a problem), I wanted to automatically generate a username which is the person's first name (they'll then be able to change it later).  Trying to use Dreamweaver as a model, I've come up with this:

$updateSQL = sprintf("UPDATE users SET username=%s",

GetSQLValueString($_POST['first_name'], "text"))

Well...it does update the username, but it does so on ALL of the records as opposed to the one that was just inserted.  Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I tried:

GetSQLValueString($_POST['email'], "text"), "WHERE first_name = 'Bob'");

But I still am getting the same issue.  Any other others would be appreciated..

It starts like this:

((isset($_POST["MM_insert"])) && ($_POST["MM_insert"] == "form2")) {

$insertSQL = sprintf("INSERT INTO users (first_name, last_name, user_type, email, school_id,username) VALUES (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)",

GetSQLValueString($_POST['first_name'], "text"),

GetSQLValueString($_POST['last_name'], "text"),

GetSQLValueString($_POST['user_type'], "text"),

GetSQLValueString($_POST['email'], "text"),

GetSQLValueString($_POST['school_id'], "int"),

GetSQLValueString($_POST['username'], "text"));

mysql_select_db($database_connalgebra, $connalgebra);

$Result1 = mysql_query($insertSQL, $connalgebra) or die(mysql_error());

then I do my update:

GetSQLValueString($_POST['email'], "text"), "WHERE first_name = 'Bob'");

$Result2 = mysql_query($updateSQL, $connalgebra) or die(mysql_error()); 

***Truth be told, my ultimate goal is to create a username for the user as a concatenation of the new user_id (which my DB creates in the Insert step?) and the first name to avoid any username duplicates. 

Any thoughts would be welcome!

For a much more user-friendly way to avoid duplicates, just run a SELECT COUNT() query against the user's choice of username. If no results are returned, the username is available, otherwise display an error. Also a good idea is to create a UNIQUE index on the username field in the DB, just in case two users are trying to register the same username at about the same time.

Sorry if didn't make total sense:

I'm the administrator of the site.  Users are going to have to get my permission to use the site (it won't be an automated process since I have to check their credentials).  I'll then input their first name, last name, email, at which point I'd like my database to insert a new record (this works!) and generate a starting username for them.  I'm hoping to base this username on their name and the index of the record to ensure uniqueness, such as Fred121.  With this in mind, I think that the method I'm using should, in theory, work.  But, alack, and alas, I can't seem to get the database to change just one specific username.  :'(  Any thoughts?

After the initial INSERT query, get the value of the autoincrement index field with mysql_insert_id, then use that value for the UPDATE query.

// right after INSERT query . . .
$id = mysql_insert_id();

// Then the next query string would be similar to:
$query = "UPDATE `table` SET `username` = CONCAT(`username`, $id) WHERE `index_id` = $id";

However, if you're going to allow the user to change their username in the future, as you indicated, you'll still need to implement to protections noted above at some point.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.