Script written to PHP4, anyway to force PHP5 despite hundreds of Deprecated.

iarp

I have an application that was written back in PHP4 days and has ceased development ever since. PHP 4 is basically gone, i can't get it to install on any of my machines now and what i use on my windows boxes (XAMPP) doesn't include PHP4 anymore.

When i set everything up, i get ~50 of these:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in....

and on every line it looks like:

$var =& _____ or $var = &something... yada-yada

and removing the & symbol removes the error message. Using editplus i removed all the "=&" and "= &" and just replaced the & with space, i  had read on google PHP5 doesn't need it anymore so that should've worked.

But as my luck would have it, the server errors out with 500 code until i replace all the &'s back, and then the errors show up yet again.

Is there anyway to force php5 to run this program despite having php4 things in it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.