help with creating latest score table

kenny22

I'm in the process of creating a webage that shows latest scores and an updated league table for soccer/football matches like the bbc sports website does.

I have the database set up with a form to update and display latest score all work well apart from if i update a score like the following

teamA  1  teamB  0  it updates table to give  teamA 3 points based on the current score however if teamA score again

teamA 2 teamB 0 it updates table again  but gives teamA another 3 points which is not correct so i need a way to stop it happening.

thought about it for a while and only thing i can come up with is some maths to compare the values of score for each team and add/remove points as dependent on current score.

Anyone got something similar to this

Wait...in what country do soccer games score in 3-point intervals?

Why are you claiming your queries will update the wrong way...or something.

Show the queries you're running.

Your WHERE clause should be identifying these games based on a unique identifier (either an auto-increment ID in the database or by team/date), not by score.

-Dan

here in uk, 3pts for win, 1 for a draw

what i have come up

if ($score1 > $score2) {

$homepoints = '3'; $awaypoints = '0'; $homewin = 'W'; $awaywin = 'L';

}

if ($score1 < $score2) {

$homepoints = '0'; $awaypoints = '3'; $homewin = 'L'; $awaywin = 'W';

}

if ($score1 == $score2) {

$homepoints = '1'; $awaypoints = '1'; $homewin = 'D'; $awaywin = 'D';

}

going to do some more work on form page so that it looks at the value of  $homewin, $awaywin and allocates points from there, was hoping someone had already solved this problem before

thanks for reply

kenny

Oh, so in addition to "keeping score" for the game itself, you're also "scoring" the teams in league play.  Those should be kept in a separate table (or calculated on the fly). 

Don't give the team the 3 points until after the game is finished with.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.