problem with html option selected not updating

jrgord

Not sure exactly where this problem is coming from, but php seems the most likely candidate to fix it.  My php loads, from a MySQL database, a list of names (students in a class) and a drop-down for each student with attendance options.  Based on the information in the database, the appropriate attendance option is selected (<option selected></option>).  Everything works fine on the initial page load. 

Next, I want to update the status, so I select a new option from the drop-down list and click submit.  The php code updates the database correctly, but the selected option (in HTML) is still the original one.  If I change the option to something different and submit again, I get the previously selected option (that I selected the first time) - in essence, the HTML is always one step behind the database.

I've attached the snippet of relevant code - again, I know that the code works when the page loads initially and that the database is getting updated correctly.  Any help or comments are appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.