How do I use a variable with return result from dropdown with MySql lookup?

rmiddleton

I have found postings close, but not close enough to find my error.

I am looking up data from a MySql table and putting it in a dropdown box on a form. I can select the item, but apparently not really. I am not able to echo it, or post it to a record.

I'm sure I am missing something simple, but...

Code attached if anyone can show me the errors of my ways.

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The code you provide shows a select field (called 'types') which is populated from the database. Since you are using the same value for the option value and the option text I will assume that the options do have values. You are then apparently POSTing the form (with the select list in question) to another page. But, you are apparenlty having a problem accessing the POSTed value on that page.

Assuming you are getting directed to the correct processing page ($editFormAction) then the problem lies in that page.

EDIT:

By the way, you have some superfulous (sp?) code here

$result = mysql_query($sql) or die ($sql . '<br />' . mysql_error); 
if (!$result) { 
   echo 'Query failed'; 
   exit; 
}

If the query failes the "or die()" satatement will execute. So, the "if (!$result)" could never be run.

As to the problem, it never gets to another form, it should process the insert from this page, but apparently until I can make "Entry_Type" = <select> I can't get past that point.

I'm not following your statements. On the code you attached, you are creating a form with a select field called "types" - there is a separate INPUT field called "Entry_Type" but since you did not specify a type property for that input I am assuming it is defaulting to a Text input. The form looks "OK". You are then POSTing that form to a processing page - is that processing page the same page? If so, there is nothing in the code that runs the query which does anything with $_POST['types'], which would be the value from that select list. The query does use $_POST['Entry_Types'] - but that is the misformatted input field not the select list. Are you referencing the wrong field?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.