Creating a member specific homepage showing information from a MySQL DB HELP!!!

Rossd

I Have a protected members section on my site for staff. I would like it so that information specific to that member of staff would appear on their homepage straight after login. Just basic information that is stored on a MySQL database so they can login and check appointments and clients etc for the week etc.

is this something that is possible to do in PHP and MySQL? or am I going mad?

At the moment I have the entire table on the members homepage and the only way I've figured out to specify a member to only show one users information is to use - (SELECT * FROM Tutors WHERE name = 'XXX'. I don't like this method as it would mean i would have to have a separate files for each member. I was hoping I could do something along the lines of - WHERE name = ' relative to the login name used'. but I am sure I am flogging a dead horse here.

So many websites do this kind of thing and I'm surprised after scouring the net for hours and hours that I haven't found any useful information or tutorials on the subject. I am fairly new to programming in PHP and MySQL and am only just getting to grips with the lingo. Maybe I've just been seacrhing the wrong thing, I don't Know.

Any help at all would be amazing and much appreciated, a nudge in the right direction would be a start as I'm getting nowhere on my own

THANKS

ROUGH guide...

1. staff log form page - posts to process page

2. process page - check form data - if good - set session variable with staff's userid, redirect to generic staff home page

3. generic staff home page - start sessions get userid from session variable, query db for staff's data for that particular userid

display data

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.