How to upload file from client to server using PHP

onikboss

I designed a web form that takes as input a file and that should upload that file on the server. The file is located on the client machine. The page containing the web form is handled by PHP script.

I found out (reading 9483658954 forum topics so far) that there are 2 methods for getting a file uploaded. The first one is using FTP, and the second one using $_FILES variable. Unfortunately i have complains regarding both of the methods.

Firstly, when attempting to upload the file using FTP it seems that rather the FTP server is calling "upload" a simple copy action (because the only successful thing i could do with FTP was to copy a file from location A to location B, both A and B being on the server) or I don't know to use FTP (which is probably the right answer). Then, when using $_FILES variable, I was forced to include ' enctype="multipart/form-data" ' in the form tag. After a long documentation I finally figured out that by including the enctype blah blah, the $_POST and $_FILES variables were NULL after the form was submitted.Still can't understand why!

Are there any other methods for uploading a file from the client machine to the server? Can I get a competent script for this?

this is the form:

<form action="upload.php" method="post" name="upload" enctype="multipart/form-data">

Upload in category:

<select name="category">

<option value="category">C1</option>

</select>

<br />

<br />

File:

<input type="file" style=" width: 250px" name="path" />

<br />

<br />

<button type="submit" name="submit_upload">Upload</button>

</form>

and this is how i'm accessing the variables:

if (isset($_POST['submit_upload']))

{

if ($_POST['path']!="")

{

//upload can start

//here i can't figure out what script to use, because both methods failed

}

else

{

//path invalid

print '<div class="alert"><p><b>No file selected</b></p></div><br /><br />';

require("upload_form.html");

}

}

else

{

require('upload_form.html');

}

the output is : "No file selected"!

by the way...the form is stored into a separate file called "upload_form.html"

I have all the source files on a free hosting server. If you, guys, need more details please let me know

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.