Regex or explode to array: I need some help in a simple string!

dilbertone

good day dear community,

well i am in big big trouble - i need some regex to solve a problem! Can you help me a bit! That would be great! Well - i mused alot how to call the subject: Finally i came to: "Regex or explode to array: I need some help in a simple string!"

i have a spreadsheed in calc. with some records. There is a column that contains the following information

Ecole Saint-Exupery

Rue Saint-Malo 24

67544 Paris

Well i need to have those lines divided into at least three columns

name: Ecole Saint-Exupery

street: Rue Saint-Malo 24

postal code and town 67544 Paris

Or even better - i have divided the postal code and town into two seperate columns!? Question: is this possible? Can (or should) i do this in calc (open document-formate)? Do i need to have to use a regex and perl or am i able to solve this issues without an regex?

Note - finally i need to transfer the data into MySQL-database...

I look forward to a tipp...

greetings

BTW: you can see all the things in a real world-live-demo: http://192.68.214.70/km/asps/schulsuche.asp?q=a&a=50&s=1750 - see the filed

Schulname

Straße

PLZ Ort

These field contains three things - the name, the street and the Postal Code and the town! Question: can this be divided into parts!? If you copy and paste the information - and drop it to calc then you get all the information in only one cell. How to divide and seperate all those information into three cells or even four?

BTW - i tried to translate the information to hex-code - see the follwoing...:

Staatl. Realschule Grafenau

Rachelweg 20

94481  Grafenau

00000000: 53 74 61 61 74 6C 2E 20  52 65 61 6C 73 63 68 75
00000010: 6C 65 20 47 72 61 66 65  6E 61 75 20 0A 52 61 63
00000020: 68 65 6C 77 65 67 20 32  30 0A 39 34 34 38 31 20
00000030: 20 47 72 61 66 65 6E 61  75 20 20 

but i do not know if this helps here!??

Can you help me to solve the problem. Do i need to have a regex!?

Many thanks in advance for any and all help!

hello dear The Little Guy

many many thanks for the hints! GREAT!

$opt = explode("\n", $record);
var_dump($opt);

well did i get you right: i take the information of the  third column in this huge spreadheet that can be found here  http://192.68.214.70/km/asps/schulsuche.asp?q=a&a=50&s=1750

(or the information that is derived from this dataset to a calc-Spreadsheet) and apply your code on the third  (!!!) Column of the Spreadsheet ?

Note - i need to have the information not only in one cell but in three or four!?

Question: should i take the information of the huge (note the table contains almost 6000 records)

The Little Guy - i love to hear from you again. ..

best regards

db1  ;D

Hello TLG

yes  - i want to split that information to tree cells or columns (in MySQL)

BTW see the dataset: here you have an overview:  http://192.68.214.70/km/asps/schulsuche.asp?q=a&a=50&s=1750

Well - i have loaded the data of the online sheet to a calc-spreadsheet and from there i imported it to mysql.

In only one Column (the third one!) i have the full adress with

1. name of the school

2. name of the street

3. postal code and town

Well  - i guess that your code hits the point. I take all the (almost 6000 ) records and apply your code below.

If I understand correctly, you would want something like this:

$opt = explode("\n", $record); // Don't forget to mysql_real_escape_string
mysql_query("INSERT INTO my_table (name, street, postal) VALUES ('{$opt[0]}','{$opt[1]}','{$opt[2]}')");

i will have a closer look what explode does exactly. But i am pretty sure that you have given the exact hint....

Best regards

db1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.