Remote authentication of sotware

Tazz

The title may be a bit misleading, but essentially what I have is a custom CMS I built in PHP.  What I want to do next is to build some sort of authentication to ensure my code was not copied and reused on another server.

I need some way to communicate between my CMS and an external script to ensure that it is valid.

I was thinking of putting a file on a domain. A simple function that accepts an url this function takes the url, searches the db, if it finds it, send back an result.

My CMS obviously queries this function with the current url of the domain and if the url is in my db, the software works, otherwise it displays a message saying it was illegally copied.

How do I build this interaction between the two?  I could use AJAX, but i need something a bit more robust so that your average developer doesn't figure it out too easily.

Generally people hate when you do this, because that means THEIR software stops working when YOUR site goes down.  Think about your liability there.  If your server goes down, EVERY CLIENT you've ever had goes down.  Bad mojo.

Obfuscate it and wrap it in a legal contract.  Then get a lawyer if someone steals it.

Learn from the DRM fiasco with video games and music.  If I wanted to steal your code, I would.  You couldn't do a damn thing about it. All you'll be hurting is your paying customers.

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.