Correct syntax for echoing variables with values!

wright67uk

What would be the correct way to use returned sql results as variables.  I have tried the way in my script, but Im unsure of how I can echo just one of the $nt variables further on in my script. 

$code = $_GET['postcode'];
$shortcode = substr($code,0,2);
$query =mysql_query ("SELECT email FROM treesurgeons WHERE postcode like '%" . $shortcode . "%' ORDER BY companyName LIMIT 3");
echo mysql_error();
echo "<p>The email addresses you have requested are;</p>";
while($nt=mysql_fetch_row($query)){echo "$nt[0],$nt[1],$nt[2]<br>";}
echo "<p>please use $nt[2] if you ever want to contact me</p>"; //this line doesnt work for me
?></body></html>

is there is a way to assign variables such as;

$nt[0] = $firstemail

$nt[1] = $secondemail

$nt[2] = $thirdemail

this way I could use each of my sql values, just as I would any other variable?

try

$query =mysql_query ("SELECT email FROM treesurgeons WHERE postcode like '%" . $shortcode . "%' ORDER BY companyName LIMIT 3");
echo mysql_error();
while($ntx=mysql_fetch_row($query)) $nt[] = $ntx[0];

echo "$nt[0],$nt[1],$nt[2]<br>";
echo "<p>please use $nt[2] if you ever want to contact me</p>"; //this line doesnt work for me
?></body></html>

Hi BH, i tried the code that you showed me.  I like how the list function works, it's new to me.

However if I go to use eg. $thirdmail elsewhere in my script, it doesn't appear to hold a value?

echo mysql_error();
while(list($firstmail, $secondmail, $thirdmail)=mysql_fetch_row($query)){echo "{$firstmail}{$secondmail}{$thirdmail}<br>";}
echo "<br>the third email address found in your query is $thirdmail"; //my html result displays nothing in place of $thirdmail when I echo it on this line?
?></body></html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.