How to filter what charachers get submitted.

pioneerx01

I am trying to filter characters that get submitted into forms and than database. I have been paying with trim function

$string = $_POST[name];
$newstring = trim($string,"W");
echo "$newstring";

but it does not seem to do what I really need. If I enter name World I do get "orld" back, but what if I want to filter out W (or w) and L (or l) to get "ord".

I am mainly going after removing ' " ; : . > , < - _ ( ) * & ^ % $ # @ ! \ | / ?

I know there is a different way to do it, but it has been long tome since I have seen it, and I do not know where.

Thanks for your help

You could put all the characters into an array:

$characters = array("'","\"",";",":",".",">",",","<","-","_","(",")","*","&","^","%","$","#","@","!","\\","|","/","?");

And then use a foreach loop to run through each one, replacing them with "" using str_replace().

You could put all the characters into an array:

$characters = array("'","\"",";",":",".",">",",","<","-","_","(",")","*","&","^","%","$","#","@","!","\\","|","/","?");

And then use a foreach loop to run through each one, replacing them with "" using str_replace().

No need for a loop. str_replace will accept arrays as arguments.

search

The value being searched for, otherwise known as the needle. An array may be used to designate multiple needles.

replace

The replacement value that replaces found search values. An array may be used to designate multiple replacements.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.