Custom UI: what is possible?

DDmUSA

I am in the process of learning MySQL and PHP.

I have a real-world application that I would like to develop for someone using MySQL and PHP, provided I can end up with the necessary user interface for the application.

The user will be launching a web browser to start the application.

The application will be developed for two purposes:

to record employee information (name, contact info, category of worker such as: cook, dishwasher, server, host)

to record the hours worked by each worker for each day and then generate a report that can be sent to the accountant by email or fax

Since the interaction will take place in a web browser, what are the possibilities as far as having customization for the text fields (controllable size of text field, larger than the form element), having start and end times with the colon symbol inserted automatically, to name a few.

When a text field is inserted via HTML, the rectangle is rather small.  Can the default sizes of form elements be enlarged?

I would specifically like to know what gets implemented to have a text field whereby the text box is a size I choose with a specific font to be used if so desired.

Also, to have a field to input numbers for a time input for hours and minutes, with the colon symbol automatically appearing in the field once someone starts typing in this field.

If I insert a drop-down selection using the HTML select element, the object on the screen is rather tiny.  Can this appear larger when desired?

How are these sorts of things accomplished?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.