UPDATE function Only Update if NOT Empty

sblake161189

Hi Guys,

I want my UPDATE function from the code below to only update those fields that are NOT empty - if they are empty on submit then do not update or change any values from that field. I know that sounds odd, but with my file fields, when I submit to change something else at a later date it will overwrite the photo, download1,2 & 3 values and as a result I loose my files from the mysql table.

Cheers, S

<?php 

include('config.php'); 
if (isset($_GET['Ter']) ) { 
$ter = (int) $_GET['Ter']; 
if (isset($_POST['submitted'])) {

//Photo & Document Upload Upload
$timestamp_photo = time();
$timestamp_download1 = time();
$timestamp_download2 = time();
$timestamp_download3 = time();
//This is the directory where the files will be saved
//Photos
$photo_target = "images/"; 
$photo_target = $photo_target .$timestamp_photo. basename( $_FILES['photo']['name']);
//Documents
$download_target = "documents/"; 
$download_target1 = $download_target .$timestamp_download1. basename( $_FILES['download1']['name']);
$download_target2 = $download_target .$timestamp_download2. basename( $_FILES['download2']['name']);
$download_target3 = $download_target .$timestamp_download3. basename( $_FILES['download3']['name']);

//This gets all the other information from the form 
$photo = ($_FILES['photo']['name']);
$download1 = ($_FILES['download1']['name']);
$download2 = ($_FILES['download2']['name']);
$download3 = ($_FILES['download3']['name']);
//Pause Photo/Document Upload

foreach($_POST AS $key => $value) { $_POST[$key] = mysql_real_escape_string($value); } 
$sql= "UPDATE `ter` SET `Ter` =  '{$_POST['Ter']}' , `BranchName` = '{$_POST['BranchName']}' ,  `BranchAddress` =  '{$_POST['BranchAddress']}' ,  `BranchTel` =  '{$_POST['BranchTel']}' , `BranchEmail` =  '{$_POST['BranchEmail']}' , `BranchLink` =  '{$_POST['BranchLink']}' , `Theme` =  '{$_POST['Theme']}' , `LocalInfo` =  '{$_POST['LocalInfo']}' , `BranchInfo` =  '{$_POST['BranchInfo']}' , `photo` =  '$timestamp_photo{$_FILES['photo']['name']}' , `download1` =  '$timestamp_download1{$_FILES['download1']['name']}' , `download1name` =  '{$_POST['download1name']}' , `download2` =  '$timestamp_download2{$_FILES['download2']['name']}' , `download2name` =  '{$_POST['download2name']}' , `download3` =  '$timestamp_download3{$_FILES['download3']['name']}' , `download3name` =  '{$_POST['download3name']}' WHERE `Ter` = '$ter' "; 

mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error()); 

//Unpause Photo/Document Upload
//Writes the photo to the server 
if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['photo']['tmp_name'], $photo_target))
{
echo "<br />The file ".$timestamp_photo. basename( $_FILES['photo']['name']). " has been uploaded. <br />";
}
else {
echo "";
} //End of Photo/Document Upload

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['download1']['tmp_name'], $download_target1))
{
echo "<br />The file ".$timestamp_download1. basename( $_FILES['download1']['name']). " has been uploaded. <br />";
}
else {
echo "";

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['download2']['tmp_name'], $download_target2))
{
echo "<br />The file ".$timestamp_download2. basename( $_FILES['download2']['name']). " has been uploaded. <br />";
}
else {
echo "";

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['download3']['tmp_name'], $download_target3))
{
echo "<br />The file ".$timestamp_download3. basename( $_FILES['download3']['name']). " has been uploaded. <br />";
}
else {
echo "";

echo (mysql_affected_rows()) ? "<br />Edited Branch.<br />" : "<br />Nothing changed. <br />";  
} 
$row = mysql_fetch_array ( mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `ter` WHERE `Ter` = '$ter' "));
?>

When I 'upload' the first file lets say a photo in the photo field it uploads absolutley fine and shows in the table and also on the page.

However, at a later time, if i update the address for example and click submit. Then the file name+extension of the photo in the mysql table is removed and I'm just left with a new timestamp. But the address has been updated. This is fine for any normal text fields. But a pain with files on my form.

Cheers

Hey,

Yeah I like your idea... but how to do I link it in with the UPDATE command...

foreach($_POST AS $key => $value) { $_POST[$key] = mysql_real_escape_string($value); } 
$sql= "UPDATE `ter` SET `Ter` =  '{$_POST['Ter']}' , `BranchName` = '{$_POST['BranchName']}' ,  `BranchAddress` =  '{$_POST['BranchAddress']}' ,  `BranchTel` =  '{$_POST['BranchTel']}' , `BranchEmail` =  '{$_POST['BranchEmail']}' , `BranchLink` =  '{$_POST['BranchLink']}' , `Theme` =  '{$_POST['Theme']}' , `LocalInfo` =  '{$_POST['LocalInfo']}' , `BranchInfo` =  '{$_POST['BranchInfo']}' , `photo` =  '$timestamp_photo{$_FILES['photo']['name']}' , `download1` =  '$timestamp_download1{$_FILES['download1']['name']}' , `download1name` =  '{$_POST['download1name']}' , `download2` =  '$timestamp_download2{$_FILES['download2']['name']}' , `download2name` =  '{$_POST['download2name']}' , `download3` =  '$timestamp_download3{$_FILES['download3']['name']}' , `download3name` =  '{$_POST['download3name']}' WHERE `Ter` = '$ter' "; 

Cheers, S

You can do it in SQL

"`BranchName` = CASE WHEN '{$_POST['BranchName']}' != '' THEN '{$_POST['BranchName']}' ELSE `BranchName` END"

Or in PHP

"`BranchName` = " . ($_POST['BranchName'] ? "'{$_POST['BranchName']}'" : "`BranchName`")

In both cases, what you're saying is "Set it to the new value if the new value is not empty, otherwise set it to the old value".

Almost:

$sql= "UPDATE `ter` SET `BranchName` = " . ($_POST['BranchName'] ? "'{$_POST['BranchName']}'" : "`BranchName`")

There was an extra double quote in the version you just posted.  You'll need to do this for each column that may or may not need updating.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.