UTF-8 is Killing me. Please help.

Akkari

Hey there everyone. Today isn't my lucky day since I'm dealing with international characters. (Arabic). What happens is the following:

Arabic entered in form > saved to MySQL > Retrieved from MySQL > outputted as XML > used in an application (Google maps if it makes any difference).

Plain and simple, the problem is that the final output is this:

%u0645%u0639%u0644%u0645

which definetly isn't arabic.

What I've tried so far:

- Loading the Google Maps thing directly from XML which I manually created and put the arabic chars into -> WORKED! (meaning I cut out the saving and retrieval of info from the db to see where the problem may be coming from)

- Set the database collation and charset to utf8_unicode_ci. (Also collation of the fields inside the table) -> NO LUCK! :(

- Tried encoding all PHP files and html files involved in the process to UTF-8

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

-> NO LUCK! :(

- Tried a suggestion from Google which said try to execute this query after connection with the db:

mysql_query("SET NAMES 'utf8'");
mysql_query('SET CHARACTER SET utf8'); 

-> still no luck :(

First time I get that frustrated. I guess the problem isn't with Gmaps and XML. Something to do with PHP & MySQL because when the raw XML files displays correctly, Gmaps works like a charm. And the only way I got the XML file to show correctly as said earlier was to manually create it and enter the arabic text in it.

Thanks a lot for any help provided!

Thanks for your eye opening response and sorry for the late reply. Actually when dumped in PHP it works. However, I think I should add a very important point. The arabic data is gathered through a form and processed through a $_GET. Meaning PHP receives the data from a URL. So all my concentration now is how to decode this:

%u064A%u0627%u0633%u064A%u0646

which seemingly is how "arabic" looks in a URL.

Thanks a lot.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.