loop help

MDanz

i've been doing while loops for this problem .. i dont think its the right way though.

i have a set of boxes each with a boxid(apart from the first), which is the id(mysql) of the previous box. 

e.g.

box 1 has id 1

box 2 has id 2 and boxid 1,

box 3 has id 3 and boxid 2 etc

you see the boxid is the same as the previous id.

i want 10 boxes to display , when i'm trying to loop this i am using a while loop, but i keep on having to use another while loop inside, just to match the boxid with previous id, to get the next box to display. so i would have to do 10 while loops inside one another, which isn't good practice.

is there a better way to do this? for loop? 

another example

e.g.

box 1 has id 239

box 2 has id 456 and boxid 239,

box 3 has id 123 and boxid 456 etc

[id=239] [id=456,boxid=239][id=123,boxid=456]

how would you go about doing this? instead of multiple while loops inside each other.

i've been doing mysql_query select boxid='$previousid' and then doing while loop inside while loop per box.  there must be a better way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.