Problems with If...Else

BelowZero

I'm trying to either update my database if some data matches the if statement, or insert the data in a new row if it doesn't match (if possible).

The code will update the database just fine if the data matches, but if not, it won't insert the new data. (When I leave off the if statement it will insert just fine). I fear I'm not using the if...else correctly.

Thanks for any help.

<?php	

header("Location: admin_schedule.php");

include("opendatabase.php");

$date=("$_POST[gamedate]");
$week=("$_POST[Week]");
$game=("$_POST[Game]");
$hometeam=("$_POST[team_name_1]");
$awayteam=("$_POST[team_name_2]");

$check = mysql_query("SELECT week_id,game_id FROM schedule");
$row[] = mysql_fetch_array($check);

if ($row[week_id]='$week' && $row[game_id]='$game')
{
mysql_query("UPDATE schedule 
SET week_id = '$week', game_id = '$game', date = '$date', H_team  = '$hometeam', A_team = '$awayteam'
WHERE week_id = '$week'
AND game_id = '$game'");
}

else
{
mysql_query("INSERT INTO schedule (week_id,game_id,date,H_team,A_team)
VALUES('$week','$game','$date','$hometeam','$awayteam')");
}

mysql_close($con);

Is week_id your primary key?

If so, you could just run the query like:

$sql = "INSERT INTO schedule (week_id,game_id,date,H_team,A_team) VALUES('$week','$game','$date','$hometeam','$awayteam')
            ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE game_id = VALUES(game_id), date = VALUES(date), H_team = VALUES(H_team), A_team = VALUES(A_team)";
mysql_query($sql) or trigger_error($sql . ' has encountered an error: <br />' . mysql_error());

Then you wouldn't need if statements, nor would you need your first query.  This will insert the data unless it encounters a duplicate primary key.  If it encouters the duplicate key, it will update the row with the new data.

UN-TESTED1

Auto-increments wouldn't work, as it will just be inserted since the value would be incremented.

At this point, the easiest thing to do, is change your first query.

$check = mysql_query("SELECT week_id,game_id FROM schedule");
//to
$check = mysql_query("SELECT week_id  FROM schedule WHERE week_id = '$week' AND game_id = '$game'");
//next change your if statement to:
if(mysql_num_rows($check) > 0)

Should fix you up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.