Best Way to Remember the Last Pressed Submit Button Condition?

chaseman

The situation:

The script is fetching data from the database and printing it out with a while loop, at the same time the rows are being broken up into pages with pagination.

The problem:

I'm using if and elseif statements for a sorting and ordering functionality. When I now choose a certain category to print out ONLY the chosen category, then the pagination will still be intact.

But as soon as I click forward on the pagination navigation links, a page refresh (reload) will happen and the query will default to it's default setting which is category = ALL (and not anymore that specific category I chose earlier).

My question:

Is there any way to make the script remember the last pressed submit condition? Meaning that if I choose a certain category which should be printed,  then the chosen category still remains chosen even if I click the pagination links which cause a page reload?

Here's a small script excerpt, to help picture the example:

$select_category is taken with $_REQUEST from a drop down menu.

// ALL but NO OTHER
if (($select_category == 'All') || (!isset($select_category)) && (!isset($most_liked))) {

$query	= "SELECT * FROM con, user WHERE con.user_id = user.user_id ORDER BY contributed_date DESC";

pagination_start ($dbc, $query);

$offset = $pag_array[0];
	$rows_per_page = $pag_array[1];

$query = $query . " LIMIT $offset, $rows_per_page";

knuffix_list ($query, $dbc);

pagination_end ($pag_array);

// CATEGORY but NOT most_liked	
} elseif (isset($select_category) && !isset($most_liked)) {

$query = "SELECT * FROM con, user WHERE con.user_id = user.user_id AND category = '$select_category' ORDER BY contributed_date DESC";

pagination_start ($dbc, $query);

$offset = $pag_array[0];
	$rows_per_page = $pag_array[1];

$query = $query . " LIMIT $offset, $rows_per_page";

knuffix_list ($query, $dbc);

pagination_end ($pag_array);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.