Dynamic site for local orchestra: some *very* general questions...

peppericious

I have set up a site for a local orchestra. I have a simple mysql db from which 'News' items are pulled using php.

I have set up the following pages:

1. view_news.php

2. insert_news_item.php

3. delete_news_item.php

4. edit_news_item.php

All pages are working fine.

Now, rather than continually having to do news updates for the orchestra myself, I want to give a person on the orchestra committee access to the above pages so that he/she can do news updates for the orchestra, as required.

What is the best way of proceeding from here? I thought about creating a password protected directory and putting pages 2, 3 and 4 above into that directory and then giving the committee member the protected directory password. Is that the way to go?

What is the conventional way of doing this sort of thing?

Two things to note: I'm new to php and the job is non-paying. I've set up the site as the willing parent of kids in the orchestra.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Generaly, you would make a login script for the admin side of it.  This would let whoever has the admin login do what needs to be done, without having to bother with directory level security.

And that login script is a php script only? Or would I need an additional db table with usernames and passwords?

You couldn't give me some pointers on how I should proceed to write the login script, could you?.. So that I can have a starting point...

Thx.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.