Data issues when pasting content into fields..

iPixel

So i have a basic form that does a pure and simple data entry via MySQL / PHP.

However the content being passed through the form is being pasted in from random sources such as PDF, Word Doc, etc...

Here's an issue im noticing and do not know how to fix. If someone pastes a paragraph that has a single quote in it, that single quote  >>  '  << will be replaced in the database with something like so  >> ’ << so a word like world's will turn into world’s.

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this issue?

Thanks!

THE FIELD WITH THE SINGLE QUOTE POSSIBILITIES

<?php
$item_copy = addslashes($_POST['ITEM_COPY']);
?>

INSERT:

<?php
$sql = "INSERT INTO $tablename (DIST_PART_NUM,DIST_PUB,MFR_PART_NUM,MFR_PUB,ITEM_DESC,ITEM_STD_DESC,ITEM_COPY,COST,GP_MULT,ITEM_IMAGE,ITEM_URL,COUNTRY_OF_ORIG,CATEGORY_ID,PICGROUP_KEY,UPC_CODE,LEADTIME,UNITS,LENGTH,WIDTH,HEIGHT,WEIGHT,FLAG_HAZARDOUS,FLAG_LTL,FLAG_NON_RETURNABLE,CAMPAIGN_KEY) VALUES('$dist_part_num','$dist_pub','$mfr_part_num','$mfr_pub','$item_desc','$item_std_desc','$item_copy','$cost','$gp_mult','$item_image','$item_url','$country_of_orig','$category_id','$picgroup_key','$upc_code','$leadtime','$units','$length','$width','$height','$weight','$flag_haz','$flag_ltl','$flag_non','$campaign_key')";

$qry = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
?>

SELECT:

<?php
if($dist_part_num != '')
				{
					$dist = "DIST_PART_NUM = '$dist_part_num'";
				}
			if($mfr_part_num != '')
				{
					$mfr = "AND MFR_PART_NUM = '$mfr_part_num'";
				}

$sql = "SELECT * FROM $tablename WHERE $dist $mfr";
			$qry = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
			$res = mysql_fetch_assoc($qry);
?>

If you're copying and pasting, its probably a text encoding issue.  I've had the same problem before.  There really isn't an easy way (that I know of) to fix it.  You just have to delete the problematic characters then retype them with your keyboard.

Well, for starters, I would suggest you use mysql_real_escape_string() instead of addslashes()

Again, what is the collation for the DB field? You should also set the HTML output for UTF-8 encoding. I forget the manner in which to do this, but you can google for solutions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.