HELP to parse html

odine

OK.. pretty new to PHP for the most part, but i understand programming languages to a decent extent! Anyways im trying to parse an HTML page to get data out of it and probably in turn put into an sql table.. all i need help with is doing the parsing with dom, and xpath querys or however would be the best way to do this...

page im trying to parse: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/Moonrunner/The%20Eternal%20Blade/news

basically the data i want to put into sql or variables for the time being would be the 25 results returned in news. (first one is mudkips item Vicious Gladiator's Signet of Cruelty.

, and last item is: Lionus earned the achievement Level 30 for 10 points. ) Can anyone please give me some help with a function that could do this? please! :)

OK. so below is code and below that is some explanation...

$news = file_get_contents("http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/Moonrunner/The%20Eternal%20Blade/news");

$dom = new domDocument;
        @$dom->loadHTML($news);
        $dom->preserveWhiteSpace = false;

$xpath = new DOMXPath( $dom );

$aName = $xpath->query('/html/body/div/div[2]/div/div[2]/div/div[2]/div[2]/div/div/ul/li/dl/dd/a');

foreach ( $aName as $data ) {		
	echo $data->nodeValue . "\n";		
}

OK.. that is printing all the data i want with some blank space (believe its actually attributes/html). I wanted to be able to make a few varialbes out of the data im parsing. one would be $name, another $value, and another $text. Was hoping to do that within a similar foreach loop like the one above! So far im not sure how to do that though (new to php). If i change $aName varialbe to.... $aName = $xpath->query('/html/body/div/div[2]/div/div[2]/div/div[2]/div[2]/div/div/ul/li/dl/dd/a[1]'); that would give me my $name varialbe, but to get $value i would have to make another $aName variable with a[2] at the end.. is there an easier way i can do this in a loop? Also last but not least the $text variable that i want to make is: 'purchased item' which would come out of....

<a href="/wow/en/character/moonrunner/mudkips/">Mudkips</a> purchased item <a href="/wow/en/item/60410" class="color-q4">Vicious Gladiator&#39;s Dreadplate Helm</a>.

I hope someoen understands me and can help me out, thanks in advance!

welp i was hoping someone could help me out! :( Below is the code i've been playing around with trying to figure this all out.. its outputting the proper things that i want now, BUT i need to be able to take the children (in a loop or something?) and put them into variables/array so that i can eventually get them to my sql db (not even worried about that i know what to do there). again i need the characters name in a variable, time achivement occured, objective (obtained item, or obtained achivement), in variables can someone help me with how i can call those children of the main xpath so i can get them into variables? hope this makes sense again!!!

Well i was really hoping someone could help me out! :(

Again what im trying to do is get ALL THE CHILDREN of '/html/body/div/div[2]/div/div[2]/div/div[2]/div[2]/div/div/ul/*' so that i can sort that data into variables. but i have no clue how to get the children of basically every single news item listed on: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/Moonrunner/The%20Eternal%20Blade/news

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.